Monday, November 5, 2007

For My Monkey (and my sanity)

Well, I suppose the last thing I need is another blog, but it seems somehow the right things at the moment. For those of you that haven't been reading my Temple Remodel blog I'll give you a quick history. Over the last 8 months or so we have begun to have some concerns about our son's development. A few mnonths ago he was referred to be evaluated by Scott & White's Autism team. This was not a huge shock, but painful to hear nonetheless. The last 8 weeks have been hard.

Today, I decided to start this blog in order to provide myself a place of release. I didn't want my Temple blog (which is supposed to be about my journey toward physical, mental, and spiritual health) or my Sarah Station blog (which is just about the fun things that happen in our family) to be taken over by this journey we are on with Tripp. So I'm giving it its own space. I'm sure there will be many times that my blogs overlap, but creating this one makes me feel like I am in some way preserving normalcy by not allowing this part of our family's journey to become the only part I see.

So....this blog is for my Monkey. In case you are unware, Paris is my Goose, Tripp is my Monkey, and Vivian is my Bug. Call me weird - I don't care. My children are all so special and they each wound up with their own special name.

Today is what I would call a "two steps back" kind of day. Tripp had a dynamic week the last week. He seemed to come out of his world and interact with ours more than he has in a long time. He was using his words in appropriate ways - answering questions, and even showing (and voicing!) concern for his baby sister. "What happened to Vivie?" is what he said. I nearly fell off the bed I was so amazed by that simple sentence. Then we woke up this morning. It's been a day of few words, lots of tears, lots of whining in a pile on the floor. The one word we've heard a lot today is "Mommy." Imagine it in a whiny, sing-song sort of tone. Then repeat about 500 million times. That's my day today.

It should be an interesting week. He has his 3-year well check tomorrow at 2:00. Then on Wednesday we meet with the school district's diagnostician to start the process of evaluation through them. I'm hoping this will result in him receiving services through the district. It's strange, part of me hopes he's having a day like today when we go in so they will understand my concerns. Then there's that part of me that wants him to shine through all the evals so in the end we're told he's really just fine. It's a catch 22. I don't really want him to NEED help, but I know he does so I want him to get all that's available.

I better run. Monkey is "resting" - he doesn't actually nap anymore unless he's sick. Bug is playing happily and I have a brief period of time where I can indulge myself with my soap opera before we have to leave to pick up Goose from school. Have a good week, and pray that we do too.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the poem off to the side. It brought tears to my eyes. Missed you at church this past Sunday. Hope everyone is feeling better. See you on Tuesday. Love and hugs!

Me said...

I enjoyed visiting with you this evening...you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers as you begin this journey into Tripp's special ways. Whatever "they" (the professionals) tell you, always remember that YOU are his best advocate, you know him best and you, ultimately decide what is and is not in his best interest.

Nellie said...

Ahh, the poem, the poem. Where's my tissue?!

Irene said...

I'm such a dork! I didn't even see the poem until I read the comments. It's perfect, precious.

I love you! Know I'm keeping up even if we don't get to chat much these days!

debralynne said...

Thanks for sharing. Remember we love you and are praying for you and your family. He's still in the miracle working business and I'm still believing for a miracle.