Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sigh.....

What do you want first, the good or the sigh? Sorry, you don't get to pick. We'll go with the sigh first.

I somehow managed to be a little early picking the littles up from school today. I got Vivie from class and found that her cold was getting worse and suspected a rising fever. I headed down the hall to get the Monkey and since the Bug was in a trance in her stroller I decided to peep through the window and try to see what he was doing before he saw me. I saw his teacher and most of the other kids in the class on their knees scooting around acting like a choo choo train. I even heard her call out to Tripp to try and get him to join. I looked around excited to see him act like a train. I looked, and looked, and then I saw my boy. He was laying on the floor flicking his fingers up and down like he was counting something only he was aware of and compeletely ignoring all that was going on around him.



I've never been punched in the gut, but I can imagine what I felt in that moment was pretty close to it. I watched a little more and he did eventually get off the floor, but it wasn't to play choo choo. He went where I couldn't see him anymore so I really don't know what he did. Then I got spotted by one of the little girls in the class so I went ahead and went in. I was greeted with a "Hi Mommy." and he was perfectly happy to gather his things and head home. I couldn't shake that sinking feeling though.


When we got home I got them both down for a nap and went and checked the mail. I turned in the paperwork I had ready to the school district today and left a note that I had still not received anything from the psychologist to fill out. Well, it was in the mailbox when I got home! So I opened it up and was hit by another heart sinking moment. There was nothing special about the paperwork itself, it was just so official. The questionnaires were real - you know, professionally printed. The title on one of them rang a bell in my head as an instrument I had learned about at some point in my education. It all just seemed so big at that moment. I shoved it all back in the envelope and threw it on the couch. Sigh..................


Now, here's the good bit. I took my sweet Monkey to have his hearing tested last Wednesday. I was a bit anxious about how it would go given his sensitivity to sounds and detest of things covering his ears. I was sitting in the little booth when the Dr. came in. The first thing she said to me was," I've been reviewing Ginger's notes." I about fell out of the chair. Ginger is our speech therapist. She is the angel God put on my team. She didn't even do the referral for the hearing test, our pedi did. The week before we had a session with Ginger and she apparently made a point of making contact with the audiologist and sharing her notes with her. Dr. Dubona didn't even attempt to put the headphones on my son. She felt like it would just frustrate him and then make it even harder to try another option. Praise God! Praise him for Ginger who is so clearly an angel for my family and praise Him for the audiologist who took the time to read before she walked in the door.


She did the test by having sounds come out of different speakers and when he turned to the sound she would make a little animal dance to reinforce his response. Tripp, being Tripp quickly figured out who was making the animals dance and tried to pick out a pattern. He kept looking at her through the window and saying "Do duh bunny!" as he pointed at it. Of course, she couldn't do it if he was asking for it. Then at one point he wasn't turning his head to the noise but said instead "Whassat?" She came through the speakers laughing a bit and assured me that would count as a hearing response! Needless to say, he passed his hearing test and she gave me a copy of the results before I left the office. I honestly can't imagine how it could've gone smoother. I did find it interesting that he responded better to the white noise sounds than he did to her voice calling out his name. Odd.

And by the way, I did get all that paperwork back out and I filled it out tonight. I'll drop it off tomorrow or Thursday. (tomorrow will be hectic between Vivie's sickness and my Nana moving into Bluebonnet here in town) Keep those prayers going. Things seems to be getting more hectic everyday. I'm holding my breath to see if Tripp will catch the cold (?) that Paris seems to have passed to Vivie. Sickness always makes him act weird. Of course, in the midst of these assessments that could work to our advantage I suppose. Pray, pray, pray - I know God's the one keeping me from loosing what's left of my mind so please, pray for us as the month speeds up.

4 comments:

erin said...

Still here...reading and praying...

Stephanie said...

Praying for you and that Tripp doesn't catch the cold. I pray that everything goes well with your Nana moving. Glad to hear that Tripp pasted his hearing test. Ginger truely is an angel to your family. Have a good day. Love you!

Me said...

Ah, yes, that sinking feeling. It's a very familiar feeling. The first time I felt the punched in the gut feeling was after hearing someone else say they're baby was a girl and they were going to name her 'Emma' the name we'd picked long ago for a girl and short weeks after a miscarriage....But then there's each and every time I see Brenden in a situation I'm not familiar with but he is....remember what looks out of place and painful to you is often perfectly normal to not just him but even to those who have come to know him and love him as much as you....his teachers. I think once a familiar vision in your mind of what is acceptable classroom behavior and what is being worked on is there that punched-gut feeling goes away...until a new situation, new "thing" occurs..."And this too shall pass". I still remember wondering if Brenden would ever quit throwing up at the table when introduced to a new food (before even being diagnosed) and now it doesn't even phase me when his gag response kicks in...We learned, all of use, how to work around it and then we turned the page. I guess you could think of it like studying....study the page, learn the material and then turn the page...except this is your baby's world instead of some insane Algebra book....I'd prefer my babies to Algebra any day of the week...Sorry for the long comment...the house is quiet allowing my brain and fingers to actually string words together. I send my love and hugs that way. God watches over us all and teaches as we go.

jenny said...

Erika J. mentioned you (all) this morning in our devo and we lifted you up in prayer. I thought I'd better check in on your blogs. I hope all went well today. :-)