Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A bit overdue

Sorry for the delay in posting. We could call it a holiday hiatus, or maybe Christmas crazy - regardless I haven't posted in a while and I apologize. So in an effort to catch up..................

Tripp had his assessments with the school district done on the 19th. Everyone there is also in agreement that he's on the spectrum. They just need to score all their little testing tools to see where to place him. He absolutely entertained the diag and speech pathologist while they did their stuff with him. He started the whole deal off by spontaneously counting by 7's. Yes, by 7's. We were all a bit amazed. I went to do my interview with the psychologist while they did all there stuff and when I came back they were all having fun. Apparently they got further in one of the testing tools than they ever had before. The diag said shell be interested to see all the "results" because he struggled with the lower level stuff and then all of the sudden they hit a point and he blew the rest out of the water. Clearly he is missing some basic components in his development, but once they got to a section he "got" he was on fire! So, the aboslute latest we will have our ARD is February 5th, but it could be before then. That's when we will find out what services they are going to provide. Keep praying over all of that.

Since that week I've been distracted a bit by the busyness of the holidays. I have these moments of reality where I think about what life will be like when our Monkey is 8 or 12. I mean, at this point lots of what he does could easliy be chalked up to just being a silly three year old. I sense, however, that the older he gets the more different he will look from his peers. I have some saddness when I think of the future at times. I just want all good things for him and reality is that it isn't going to be all good. But I guess that's true for all kids. Maybe it's just that I see it coming, or that I feel like it should be different for him because he's special. Then again, my girls are special too and I want all good things for them, and the first boy that breaks their heart deserves to be smooshed into nothingness.

I've had other reality check moments - the ones that just blow me away because Tripp is just so amazing. I mean, hello, he counted by 7's. I have to think hard after 35! And for all his disconnect and quirkiness, he has a tremendous amount of love to share. So, yeah, he's kinda picky about who he shares it with, but when your the recipient of a hug that he initiates the rest of the world just seems to melt away. I like those moments better than the ones where I worry about his future.

One things is for sure - this holiday break with no routine, no schedule, no structure has taken a toll. I've seen a lot of tippy toes this week in particular. He's not sleeping well. He's not eating well. And no, he's not pottying well. He actually peed a puddle in my kitchen floor on Monday. He hasn't done that in months! I'm ready to get back into our routine for pee patrol alone. I am so tired of wet undies!!! (of course, about the time we get things rolling again I'll start potty trainging Viv and have went panties as well!)

SSS starts back next Tuesday though, so we only have a little more chaos to endure. It's really driven home how important it's going to be to find something for the summer. I don't know if the district does any kind of summer program. If not, I'm going to have to find somehwere for him to go so we don't go spirally backwards. Who knew relaxation could be so stressful?!?!?!?

2 comments:

Me said...

As one who has been there done that with the potty issues....Brenden peed a puddle on his floor after we moved here and I panicked because I realized that no longer was the concrete subfloor but PLYWOOD! YIKES!! That structure and routine thing is key...so when he is home send him to the bathroom (whether he needs to or not) regularly, the same time as SSS does would be best. Get him a watch (he'll be perfect for it)and have him learn when to go, whether he needs to or not. Timex watches (The Expedition) have three alarms you can set....We set ours so that they would go off something like 10 am and 3 pm and 7 pm and then we did the automatic you must go at Breakfast, lunch and before bed. I just finished a new potty chart for Brenden today so we can check off each day he has completely dry underwear and earn something cool for it like a bionicle or car. With him, since he's 10, I made sure that the words "Potty-training" were no wear on there either.

sarahdawn said...

You'd think a watch would work for my noumber man, but alas, it's no good. He rufese to wear one on his arm. He prefers instead to carry it around and watch the numbers tick by. He is so sneaky with the watch I wear that I frequently look to see what time it is and it read something like "26:38." He knows how to change the mode and has more than once set the alarm without me realizing it until 2:14 am when it goes off!